Welcome to Pedlar’s Inn. Established in 2004 as the first coffee shop inside the UNESCO Heritage Site, Galle Fort, Southern Sri Lanka. From humble beginnings, starting with only 4 tables and one member of staff, the café has developed into a must for all visitors. It currently occupies the entire ground floor of the former British post office. Maintaining original features mixed with contemporary design to deliver a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Situated on the historic Pedlar’s Street at the heart of the Fort, Pedlar’s Inn provides the perfect respite to a busy day’s exploration of the Ramparts or indulging in the numerous shops and boutiques.
Galle’s Royal Mail coach service started in 1838 on July 2nd. The Fort’s booking office was located on Pedlar’s Street, now the Pedlar’s Inn Café, and was managed by W.F. Janz. A two-horse coach would leave Galle at 06.00am and arrive in Colombo at 04.30pm. The Night Mail left Galle at 06.00pm and had to be un-harnessed and ferried across rivers at Gintota, Bentota and Kalutura. In 1908 Thaha Hadjiar Sultan Bawa purchased the property, it’s remained in the family ever since. In 2001 the current owner, Azeez, converted the building into a guest house before developing it into the café it is today.
Pedlar’s Inn is open every day from 9.00am until 10.00pm. Please note we are closed on Friday afternoons from 12.00pm until 1.30pm for afternoon prayers.
We serve Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner daily. The menu offers a mouth-watering array of salads, sandwiches, seafood, main courses, local delicacies and desserts. The drinks list is equally enticing with freshly made fruit juices, iced teas and fantastic Italian coffee.
Our team of service and kitchen staff are dedicated in providing you with the best possible service. All our staff speak English to a good level.